Wednesday, August 27, 2025

Common Dreams:
"Palestinian teenagers kidnapped and imprisoned by Israeli occupation forces during the genocidal war on Gaza accused their jailers of torturing and sexually assaulting them in a report published Saturday by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

'They took me from the aid distribution site and transferred me to a hospital in Rafah, where I was interrogated for an hour,' one 16-year-old boy identified by his first name Sami, who was abducted on June 29, told ABC. 'They stripped me and conducted a body search. Then, they loaded me into a jeep and transported me to a prison in Israel." ...

'They stripped us of our clothes and took us to Kerem Shalom, completely naked, with nothing,' he continued. 'There, the beatings and torture began ... The Israeli women soldiers beat us. They stripped us and 'played' here, and here, and there,' Mahmoud said, indicating his genitals. 'They beat us with sticks. Got on us while we were lying on the ground. We were handcuffed like that and naked.' "
https://www.commondreams.org/news/palestinian-teens-sexually-abused-by-israeli-soldiers

-->The NYT didn't print this story. Are they still checking its veracity? Our "newspaper of record" didn't do too much investigation before it printed endless stories of Palestinians raping Israeli women.

=====

AP News:
"Gaza Strip (AP) — More than 1,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since May while trying to get food in the Gaza Strip, mostly near aid sites run by an American contractor, the U.N. human rights office said Tuesday. ...

Desperation is mounting in the Palestinian territory of more than 2 million, which experts say is at risk of famine because of Israel’s blockade and nearly two-year offensive. A breakdown of law and order has led to widespread looting and contributed to chaos and violence around aid deliveries.

Israel accuses Hamas of siphoning off aid — without providing evidence of widespread diversion — and blames U.N. agencies for failing to deliver food it has allowed in. The military says it has only fired warning shots near aid sites. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, an Israeli-backed American contractor, rejected what it said were 'false and exaggerated statistics' from the United Nations."
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-gaza-war-palestinians-07-22-2025-8eb90d73c1b7499d3dbc8b8d95da65cc

-->This is under the heading of "World News." But the NYT obviously didn't agree. It didn't cover this story. Some of the worst stories about Israel's treatment of Palestinians are just routinely left out.

=====

Guardian UK
"Figures from a classified Israeli military intelligence database indicate five out of six Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Gaza have been civilians, an extreme rate of slaughter rarely matched in recent decades of warfare.

As of May, 19 months into the war, Israeli intelligence officials listed 8,900 named fighters from Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad as dead or “probably dead”, a joint investigation by the Guardian, the Israeli-Palestinian publication +972 Magazine and the Hebrew-language outlet Local Call has found.

At that time 53,000 Palestinians had been killed by Israeli attacks, according to health authorities in Gaza, a toll that included combatants and civilians. Fighters named in the Israeli military intelligence database accounted for just 17% of the total, which indicates that 83% of the dead were civilians.

That apparent ratio of civilians to combatants among the dead is extremely high for modern warfare, even compared with conflicts notorious for indiscriminate killing, including the Syrian and Sudanese civil wars."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2025/aug/21/revealed-israeli-militarys-own-data-indicates-civilian-death-rate-of-83-in-gaza-war

-->This is just another story that has gone down the NYT memory hole. How is it that the New York Post can print a story like this, but not our supposedly "newspaper of record."